Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Another Harry Potter movie – oh Yea!

Well, it's the beginning of the end for the Harry Potter film series as the next-to-last installment opens at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, 15 July 2009, here in the South Plains.
As I recall, "The Half-Blood Prince" is a gritty, dark and illuminating chapter in the serialized tale – year six at Hogwarts for Harry – and it's a story with a violent finale that shocked and surprised me. Yes, even though I'm 58, I love the Harry Potter books. They're great fantasy novels, written boldly, elegantly and with a strong creative hand. If the film is half as good as the book, it will be a wonderful experience!
And, oh yea, if you haven't figured it yet, I"m just noodling to kill some time. Odd phrase that, "killing time." I think it's always the other way 'round, you know?
I'm at a point in my life where I'm struggling to understand the emotional turmoil that seems my constant companion lately. It's not so much the environment or the people around me or the fact that I'm worried about my future (all unemployed people, I think, must worry about their futures). It's more that I've uncovered a bruised spot on my soul that I was not aware existed. And I'd thought I'd uncovered all those sore, touchy spots before now. But life, as ever, seems to have an endless supply of surprises and curve balls to toss our way. People have a HUGE responsibility on this planet, whether we admit it or not, whether we believe it or not, and no one I know is capable of keeping that in mind ALL THE TIME. It's just too damn BIG to deal with, ya know?
But the clock keeps on ticking, and the world keeps on turning on its axis around the golden ball of helium and hydrogen that holds it in place in the clockwork system this planet inhabits. Wish I could start my own newspaper! I wish I could but wishing and doing are two VERY different things. It would cost millions of dollars to publish a newspaper, even in this small market. And to keep it going for a few years – to that point where it meets budget and exceeds costs – is a daunting proposition. But if I had my wish, that's it. Meantime, I'm thinking about further job training to expand my marketability, since I'm set on staying in Lubbock with Debbi. Maybe truck driving (although my age may prohibit that idea; I don't know); perhaps Web design (though I'd be limited with that option, too, because of Lubbock's labor needs ...; perhaps computer systems design – but age comes into play with that idea as well. It's a 2-year degree program and I don't know how I'd make it through those two years, far as eating, shelter, clothing, auto, etc., goes.
But it's not a totally bleak picture I'm gazing at tonight. I have Debbi in my sight and she's my golden lioness and my happiness, so that's a GOOD THING!
And so it goes. Good luck to all, and to all a good night. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home